Amazing Ella Grace



She's here! She's here! We thought Miss Ella would never show up, but on Tuesday at 6:25 Ella Grace Copeland was born. She weighed 7 lbs and 6 ounces and she is 19 1/2 inches long and she has her Momma's toes.





I was scheduled to begin inducing Monday night at 10:00 so Chad and I went to the hospital. As soon as I got there I started having contractions. They put us in this tiny pre-op room and tried to send us home because the hospital was too full.


At 2:00 my water broke without taking any inducing medication. Ms. Ella knew that she was supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I realized quickly that epidurals are a wonderful thing and I told the nurse that finally decided I could have one that she saved my life. All of our families were here most of the day waiting for Ms. Ella Bella. After about 14 hours of labor they told me that I could start pushing. The pushing was quite unsuccessful and the doctors thought that I might have to have a c-section. Chad went to tell our families that I was still okay but things were not happening very quickly. it was difficult for them to wait that long but Dealey made it a bit easier. He was the life of the party! After Ella was born and everyone could relax our families placed bets on how much she weighed. I think they had a little too much fun in the waiting room, because all of the hospital staff knew the Copelands. :)




I was beginning to think that she may not come on her own. My contractions were also slowing down so we spent a lot of time waiting. Just then I had two big contractions and it was time for her to be born. I was shocked with how quickly everything happened after that. The doctors were in the room and she was here in less than five minutes. My beautiful baby was resting on my stomach. I will never forget that feeling of relief, excitement and confusion. I couldn't believe that she was actually ours. Chad was so supportive during the entire labor. He was so attentive and caring. He sang songs to me, prayed with me and was so encouraging. I told Ella today that she is lucky to have a daddy who loves us so much.

I found out the next day that during her whole labor Ella had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. Her heart rate only dropped twice though so I don't think it caused her any stress.










About a month ago we found out that I am Strep B positive which can be quite dangerous for the baby if she contracts it. It is fairly common in pregnant women and is treated during delivery with an antibiotic. During my delivery I spiked a fever which can be a sign that the infection has spread to the baby. Because of this Ella was taken to the NICU for testing and observation. Even though it was a bit scary to have her in the NICU I felt very lucky. The nurses were so caring and taught us a lot. Most of her first pictures look kind of scary though because she had wires and monitors everywhere. All of her tests came back negative so they let her spend the night with us on Wednesday.



Ella Bella in the NICU












Isn't that hat hilarious? Her NICU nurse decided that she needed to look girly. It is hard to be prissy and pretty when you are covered in wires, so she made it for her. I just love it the bow is bigger than she is!


We got take Ella home yesterday and she has been wonderful ever since. Who knew that Chad and I could have our very own wonderful little person. On the way home Ella was not crazy about the car seat. Stop lights are not her friend. The whole way she held my fingers with both of her hands it was so sweet.



This baby is truly a gift from God. Our marriage and family have changed so much over the past year and I know it is because of the strong relationships that we have made with our church and God. We are so blessed! Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. We have the greatest family and friends. I can't wait to share all of you with Ella she is so lucky to have so many people that love her already.

No comments: